Friday, July 31, 2015

R&N~Vintage Brush Embroidery Wedding Cake




*Brushed Embroidery and Ivory Sugar Peonies & Roses*

This wedding cake was promised to a special friend of mine.  My BFF's son and daughter-in-law were engaged over a year ago and I said I would like to make their wedding cake. 
  
The whole cake was covered in vanilla buttercream frosting made with real butter and heavy cream. The bottom layer was White Velvet (vanilla) with vanilla cheesecake and triple berry filling. The third tier was a lemon with lemon curd and the top 2 tiers were chocolaty. 



I made all the sugar paste flowers by hand and it took approximately 14 hours. The technique of brushed embroidery is simply a royal icing piped onto the cake and brushed with a paint brush to mimic the look of lacy applique.   The cakes were quite a baker's chore, with all four cakes having different fillings and different flavors.  A Labor of LOVE!

The cake sits on a white shabby painted board covered in sheer lace to meld with the vintage look of the decor. 

Braggers notes: Skip this section if you don't want to read me brag.  
I sat at a different table toward the end of the evening and a couple that I do not know sat down next to my husband and I.  They each had a different piece of cake and before the man sat down he took a bite of the white velvet cake and she took a bite of her lemon cake and they both said at the same time, "You've got to try this cake!". Then they both turned to us and asked if we had tried it. I politely said yes. The woman then commented to her husband and replied, "This is probably the best cake I have ever tasted".  My husband couldn't stand it any more and he burst out and pointed at me and said, "She made it!!! 

*This photo does not show the detail of the embroidery on the side of the cake. (I will update as soon as the bride shares her wedding photos with me).  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and ideas greatly appreciated: