Friday, January 9, 2015

Holley and Bodhi Sitting in a Tree





This is a woodland theme we created for a double baby shower at work we called it a Co-Ed Shower since our 2 ladies are having different genders. Our honored recipients Nicole & Katie are each having babies soon, Katie's lil girl is due in January and Nicole's lil boy is due in April.  About the cakes. The large cake is a flavor combination chosen by Katie. She wanted coconut cake with a lemon mousse filling. I finally achieved scratch baking victory with my yellow cake recipe, I simply added a lil coconut emulsion for flavor. I have been trying to make the perfect yellow cake from scratch for 2 years now and with my sister as my most faithful critic, I am so sorry she didn't get to have this one, because I know I would win her approval.  The Mousse was made from fresh lemon curd folded into freshly whipped heavy cream. The frosting was my basic vanilla butter cream frosting.


The cupcakes were made gluten-free as a request from Mommy number 2-Nicole. She wanted a Black Forest cake perfect choice for this theme.  I made chocolate cupcakes and filled them with homemade cherry pie filling and frosted them with a decadent butter cream cocoa frosting.   the decorations for the cupcakes were majority acorns made by hand molding caramels into a ball and attaching tootsie rolls also made by manipulating the candy into a topper piece.

All the decorations you see on the woodland cake were made by hand and the tree on the side was piped on with chocolate butter cream using the small shell tip.  Fun, fun, fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and ideas greatly appreciated: